Advisory and Consulting Services
I have a great deal of experience working with managers from more than 400 companies worldwide and this blog is, in large part, my attempt to share some of what I have learned from them. In particular, I have overseen a large number of predictive analytic and management consultancy-related projects. These have ranged from helping companies develop and use statistical models for understanding customer characteristics and demands, to credit scoring, to helping central banks implement regulatory initiatives, to assisting one of the world’s largest marble contractors in minimizing wastage. Many of these references can be viewed on my profile here. Some selected case studies are detailed at the bottom of this page.
I have designed, developed ad delivered more than 150 corporate education and training programs across more than 40 countries and 4 continents. Each program is tailored that that specific market or client and seeks to guide participants in the implementation of essential tools related to the subject matter–not textbook coverage. Moreover, each program is designed to address specific, practical challenges that participants are likely to face, particularly in emerging markets. Some of my more recent courses fall under the following topic areas:
Training for executives
Executive Use of Predictive Analytics in Emerging Markets
Analytics and Performance Measurement
Enterprise Risk Management
Using Analytics to Get Credit Products to Market
Executive and Board Risk Oversight
Risk and Leadership in Emerging Markets
Corporate Finance for Executives
Corporate Risk Management
Managing Emerging Market Exposure
Training for middle and senior managers
Identifying and Using Performance Metrics
Risk and Operations Performance and Management
Credit Scoring and Rating
Valuing Emerging Market Businesses
Decision Analytics and Product Support
Credit Exposures and Credit Risk Management
Validation and Testing of Analytical Decision Tools
Case study examples
- (Current) I am currently guiding the development of predictive analytics and simultaneously developing the predictive analytics and scorecard for the world’s first mobile loan product
- Developed, designed and implemented internal risk modeling architecture for the largest bank in West Africa. Reviewed market, credit and operational risk processes as well as internal audit functions. Devised plans for circumventing problems such as data limitations, illiquidities in the local market, regulatory uncertainty, among others.
- Consulted the largest micro-lending institution in West Africa concerning scorecard development
- Guided one of the largest banks in South Africa in the implementation of the risk component validation efforts as well as in the estimation of PDs for low default portfolios (LDPs).
- Trained representatives of the 22 largest development banks in Africa in the use of quantitative scoring and scorecards for application to project and micro-financing
- Worked with the Hong Kong Trade and Development Council to assist in preparing Chinese SOEs for public listing in Hong Kong after government bailout of State Banks
- Assisted one of the largest banks in Indonesia to map scoring variable inputs to a pre-existing (commercial vendor) credit scoring model platform. Guided credit analysts in the calibration of these scoring models to the Indonesian landscape
- Worked with an Asian central to devise an examination and review of validation results from banks that it oversees. Reviewed bank internal validation results to furnish expert opinion. Trained bank supervision personnel in how to detect manipulation of validation results as well as how to detect weaknesses and inconsistencies in the underlying scoring platform.
- Trained representatives of 23 Indian financial institutions on behalf of the Central Bank for the purpose of assessing local IRB capabilities. Particular work for the central bank focused on training high-level personnel in risk-based-pricing methods as applied particular to the Indian financial landscape.
Eastern and Central Europe
- Provided guidance in multiple engagements to two of the primary central banking authorities in Central Europe, focusing both on IRB implementation and Advanced Measurement Approaches. Devised plan for supervision of banks and testing of IRB and AMA frameworks. Also provided training of central bank supervisors to this effect.
- Advised more than 20 Serbian, Brazilian (operating in Eastern Europe) and Russian institutions in (emergency) business continuity planning strategies
Banka Kombetare Tregtare (BKT) (Credit Risks Department)
Corporate Commercial Bank, AD (Risk Control division), First Investment Bank (Credit policy, analysis and risk division; Methodology Division)
|GEORGIAClientsBank of Georgia (Deputy General Director)
|GREECEAgricultural Bank of Greece (ATE), SA (Credit risk management, Internal audit), Alpha Bank (Risk Management), Bank of Greece (Risk management), EFG Eurobank Ergasias, S.A (Risk Management), National Bank of Greece (Treasury), Hellenic Bank, Ltd (Credit Risk supervision), Teiresias SA (Data analysis), Piraeus Bank (Risk Management)
|KAZAKHSTANClientsHalyk Savings Bank (Operational Risk management, Risk Management Department)
|ROMANIAClientsBancPost (Project management), STFB Transfond SA (Risk management), Raiffeisen Bank (Risk and Credit Management; Risk division; Asset and Liability Management division; Treasury unit), Banca Comerciala Romania (Retail Risk Management), CFR Calatori (Control division)
|RUSSIABank Center-Invest (Risk Monitoring and Control), Espro Properties (Risk Analysis), Gasprom Bank (Risk Analysis and Control), Ernst & Young (Assurance services; Financial Services), Russian Commercial Bank (Risk Management), KMB Bank (Chief Risk Office), KPMG (Securitization and corporate finance), Macromir (Risk Management), Bank of Moscow (Risk management analytics), International Investment Bank (Risk management), International Moscow Bank (Risk Management, Risk Controlling), MDM Bank: Credit Risk Management), Moody’s Eastern Europe (Investor services), Promsvyazbank (Credit Risk Management), Raiffeisen Bank (Portfolio risk modeling; Risk Analysis), Sberbank (Savings Bank of the Russian Federation, Asset/Liability Division), Troika Dialog (Credit Risk management), Unicredit (Risk management), Vneshtorgbank (Summary Analytics Unit; Risk Analysis; Risk Management), ZAO Interros Holding Company (Risk analysis department)Projects
Akbank (Retail credits, Credit Risk management), C-Bank (Financial Control), ddMortgage (Credit Risk Unit), Denizbank/Dexia (Risk Systems SVP), Egeli & Co. (Control and litigation), Finansbank (Risk management, Treasury, Analytics and Scoring Group), Finar/Dunn & Bradstreet (Risk management solutions), Turk Ekonomi Bankasi (TEB) (Credit Products Allocation & Analysis), Turkiye Is Bankasi (Internal audit and board of inspectors, Financial analysis, Group Management, Risk Management and modeling, Head Office), Garanti Bank (Risk Management department, Credit Risk assistant vice president, Internal Audit, Credit policy), HSM Construction Trade and tourism (Treasury), Republic of Turkey Prime Ministry of the Undersecretariat of Treasury (Public Finance), Sekerbank (Control and audit), WestLB (Finance and Accounts), YapiKredi/Unicredit (SME Credit Underwriting)
|UKRAINEClientsAlfabank (Risk management), Eurofinance (Operations), Raiffeisen Bank (Audit and control, Deputy general auditor, Analytical Systems), UKRSIBBANK (Retail Credit supports), Concern Stirol (Information research)Projects
- Assisted one of the primary central banking authorities in the Gulf region in deciding whether to allow banks to follow Internal Ratings Based (IRB) approaches. Performed market analysis and analyses of bank capabilities across more than 30 institutions.
- Developed and devised implementation plan for an Audit Authority to review Basel II efforts taken by subsidiary financial institutions—particularly fund managers. Provided training and consultation on nuances of risk management audit.
- Extensive risk management audit of Advanced IRB implementation one of the largest building societies in the UK. Assessed data and model building, testing and calibration capabilities. Devised and implemented Advanced and Foundation IRB application plans.
- Guided one of the world’s largest banks (based in the UK) in the implementation of the Basel Advanced Measurement Approach